Montalvano – Ficulle ring

Scheda

Interesse:
Historical - archaeological
Tipologia percorso:
ring
Livello di difficoltà:
E
Lunghezza percorso:
5,3 km
Dislivello totale:
280 m
Quota partenza:
N.D. (non disponibile)
Quota max:
N.D. (non disponibile)
Quota min:
N.D. (non disponibile)
Durata escursione:
1h 30 min
A cura di:
ProLoco of Ficulle
Aggiornato al:
June 2016
Descrizione:
The Montalvano ring
The path finds its full historical location in a passage of "Chronological notes on Ficulle - ingenious diporti of the Ficullese Giuseppe Tedeschini Romani", 1877, taken from the book "Ficulle, a walk in the history and legend of a castle on Monte Orvietano" by Gruppo Storia by Ficulle:

“I hold firm to having been Ficulle head of the Castles, and pivot of the defense of the valley that he keeps an eye on, and (which Manente learns in the Chronicles of him in the year 976) to have been then under the dominion of the Bovacciani Counts. He then passed with Chiusi the aforesaid valley in the absolute dominion of the Orvietani, who obtained confirmation from the emperor Henry II practiced some works there in 1052; that is, founding the castle of Monteleone, the nearest guard of the valley, and an over-bridge near Carnaiola ... and there is still another very stringent proof: a road that, starting from Orvieto for Porta Vivaria, ferried the Paglia long before the Chiana joins it at the point known with the Colonnacce call sign as there are still the ruins of the bridge ... it climbed the aforementioned chain near Bagni and Nibbio, headed towards Ficulle, whence the crest of Monte-Albano; but it did not reach the top, forking to go down on the left to the Carnaiola bridge and on the right to Muro-grosso; this headed for Montegabbione in the Perugia area; the one for Chiusi in Tuscany. The aforementioned route from Orvieto to Ficulle was practiced to avoid all the precipitous rivers of Rio-torto, Remucchi, Rivarcare and Sala, which always infested and then devastated the old consular Cassia ... ".
And again "... And it is also necessary to admit the existence of the aforementioned road translated to Ficulle before 1055, because the Manente returns to us ... that the Orvietani finished the Carnajola bridge that flooded the whole valley by the wall already made at the nearby mill, which said region was a dark forest, which was made (there) many occisions and thieves and therefore the tower was built in the hill to guard the pass, and the other tower in the road to monte-albano. . "

“I believe that Ficulle was the head of the Castles and the pivot of the defense of the Chiani River valley, first under the dominion of the Bovacciani Counts and then together with Chiusi under that of the Orvietani. In 1052, by order of Emperor Henry II, the people of Orvieto built some works here: the Castle of Monteleone and a road over the Vicnio Carnaiola dam ... a very important proof was the existence of a road that crossed the river from Orvieto. Paglia, went up to Bagni and Monte Nibbio to get to Ficulle, where on the Montalvano hill it forked to go down to the left towards the Carnaiola Bridge and on the right to Murogrosso; the first led to Perugia, the second to Tuscany. " (Manente, Cronical 976 b.C.)
Another proof that the road existed before 1055 comes from Manente, who wrote: “... the people of Orvieto finished the road above the dam under Carnaiola which, with its walls, flooded the entire valley to serve the nearby Mill. These places were a dark forest, there were many murders and robberies, so a tower was built to guard the road and another on the hill of Montalvano ... ".

The path starts from the current “Piste del Ruzzolone” and can be undertaken in both directions, even if the one from Murogrosso is the most suitable ascent for almost the entire slope inside the wood.

The views of the Chiani River valley (Clanis) both towards Chiusi and towards Carnaiola and Parrano are very suggestive.
The walk can find its conclusion with an excellent barbecue at the Piste grove.

 

Lascia un commento

L’indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato.

Commento

Nome

Email

Url