The Collegiate Church of Saints Andrea and Bartolomeo, better known as the Church of Saint Andrea, in its current appearance is the result of the integral restoration carried out between 1926 and 1929 according to the project of Gustavo Giovannoni who restored what was remained of the original medieval building, reinvented the upper part of the facade and added a completely styled porch to the left side.
During the works under the church, the remains of a mosaic paving of the primitive paleochristian basilica and a whole archaeological area that goes from the Villanovan period to the Middle Ages were found. The Church of Saint Andrea, which probably was the first episcopal seat of Orvieto, together with the town hall and the dodecagonal municipal belfry, embraces Republic Square where the Town Hall traditionally identified as the center of the Etruscan and New town establishment of the Middle Ages and very close to the only natural access to the city.
Of the transformations undergone by the old church in the 13th and 14th centuries and subsequent modifications, it is not easy to find traces of them.
The restoration of the facade has preserved the portal in red limestone from the end of the 15th century and the travertine and basalt cladding and has inserted contemporary works such as the sculptures of the lunette of the portal by Antonietta Paoli Pogliani and the stained glass window of the rose window by Ilario Ciaurro author of pottery and terracotta of the porch too.
The interior, with three naves, retains testimonies from different periods, including frescoes from the 14th and 15th centuries, a sepulchral aedicula from the school of Arnolfo di Cambio (early 14th century), a painting with the Holy Family by Alessandro Franchi (1895) and a wooden Crucifix by the sculptor Santo Ciconte (1977).